1. Australia saved by the rain! England fans denied glorious Bell ton!
2. England were put under pressure by their own inability to crack on. Cook and Bell both got out in the low 60;s when looking either set or in the case of Bell simply imperious, and even KP’s ton wasn’t a daddy hundred like Clarke’s.
3. If Nick Compton batted 114 balls for 20 runs, there would have been question marks over his mental fragility and whether he was pukka for the challenge. Joe Root smashed a hundred in the last game, but Compton got two in New Zealand. With that in mind, should Jonny Bairstow’s place be under threat?
4. It was good to see County stalwart Chris Rogers get some runs. I feel his FC career of 20,000 runs deserved them, even if the Australian selectors don’t.
5. DRS. Jaysus. When will it end?
6. I can’t help but feel that Clarke tinkers too much, too often.
7. Shane Watson is a negative waste of the new ball, bowling two foot outside off at the time when Australia ought to be most attacking.
8. A shame about the weather. Honestly, it is a crap way to retain the urn, but I do wonder what Australians will be hashtagging now.
9. Durham got an Ashes Test over both Headingley and Edgbaston?